Toftaholm was founded in 1389 by Jöns Skötta. He was raised to nobility as a Stenbock and turned Toftaholm into a manor house. The work on Toftaborg Fort was completed in 1460 by his grandson, Councillor Gustav Olsson Stenbock the Elder. Toftaborg Fort served to protect the estate and the local population, and it was part of Sweden’s defence system against Denmark. According to legend, there is an underground passage from the fort to the northern wing of the manor house. Under the powerful Stenbocks, Toftaholm grew into one of Småland’s largest estates.
The old nobleman’s estate was at its height in the mid-16th century. It was then owned by commander-in-chief Gustav Olsson Stenbock the Younger. He was married to Britta Leijonhufvud, sister of Gustav Vasa’s second wife Margareta. The Marshal was the King’s most trusted man. Gustav Olsson Stenbock the Younger later became Gustav Vasa’s father-in-law when the 56-year-old King married Stenbock’s 16-year-old daughter Katarina. On one of Gustav Vasa’s visits to Toftaholm, Danish troops approached without warningand Gustav Vasa had to escape through the now legendary underground tunnel, whereby he lost two rings intended as a present to Katarina.
According to the legend, the rings are still in the tunnel. Kristina Sofia Stenbock married Under-Secretary Per Nilsson Natt och Dag in 1624 They owned the estate until 1661 when it went to parliamentary and national Treasurer Gustav Bonde.